Sunday, April 28, 2013

Big Day

This is from yesterday:

Well today was a pretty productive day. We left the shelter around 9 this morning to begin our descent into Glasgow where we needed to resupply. Shortly after I began hiking, a couple trail runners caught up to me. One of them, Gobbler, thru-hiked two years ago. He gave me some advice about the trail and then before we parted ways, he gave me two energy gels which was all he had on him. He then came running back a few moments later from his car with an apple and banana which he gave me. He knew how rarely we hikers get fresh fruit out here so he wanted to help me out as best he could. That made my day. Thanks so much Gobbler!

It's incredible how friendly and willing people are to help out here. Thanks everyone for your encouragement and I hear that many people following our blog want to know how they can help us out in some form or fashion. We'll let y'all know soon.

So after I passed Gobbler, we made it down to the James River., crosses the longest footbridge on the AT, and then got a hitch into town. We ate lunch at some Italian place, got subs to pack out, resupplied at a local grocery store, then got a hitch back to the trail. We then began out 10 mile climb back to the mountains around 4:30. When I got to the shelter (Punch Bowl Shelter) at 8, I was surprised to see so many tents out. Turns out there's a hiking club doing a weekend trip so Michael and I will not be in the shelter, which is great since it's supposed to rain tonight. Also, we're tenting right next to a pond so hopefully the frogs will settle down soon.

Lookin' forward to doing 25 miles tomorrow in the rain after today's 25.1 in the sun!





2 comments:

  1. You guys are doing great! Keep up the good work!
    Aunti Di

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great getting the chance to meet you yesterday. You made MY day! Enjoy each day -- the rain, the sun, the heat, and the cold. You will cherish these memories -- I do every day. I'll be anxiously following your journey now. Thanks for sharing!
    Happy Hiking,
    Gobbler

    ReplyDelete